Friday, June 28, 2013

Activity 4.2 (Short Term Memory)


I wrote some side notes on my original sheets while going through each test. Item #2 was really hard for me but it was AMAZING how it all changed with Item #3 because of the visual pairing. That one shocked me the most. I wasn’t surprised about the position in which I remembered the long list of numbers because of serial position effect. On Items #8 & #9 I honestly just guessed based on how often the images appeared more so than the colors associated with them. For Item #10 the majority that I recalled were connected to comics. Not surprised about Dr. King because I just discussed him in a blog post a couple hours prior. I was torn between #4 and #7 on the echoic recall. Now I know what my students experience when we review their tests and they say “Oh man, I almost chose that one!”. All I have to say for Item #12 is, seriously? I was lucky to write down any numbers at all. I was quite surprised that I forgot to write down USA because that was an obvious one that I knew. Interesting! The last item I couldn’t recall anything and felt cognitively exhausted. No wonder my students look like deer in headlights at the end of my class. 

4 comments:

  1. Tori, I thought about my students while I was going through the memory exercises, too. I agree that it made me a lot more sympathetic. On several of the problems, I had this moment of panic where I thought, "I can't do this." I know that hindered my ability to remember because the stress created a mental block. It made me wonder if I'm giving my students enough tools to remember content. I'll definitely remember this the next time I develop a lesson and quiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That block happened again when the last list was presented in class on Tuesday. I immediately shut down and thought that since I couldn't recall any before I wouldn't be able to now. I didn't even try, at first anyways, until I realized what I was doing.

      Delete
  2. When I start feeling exhausted during a test, I stop for a minute and do a few relaxation exercises. It helps me to stop, re-group, and re-gain my focus. As someone with ADHD (who doesn't like to medicate) I've had to learn various techniques to manage, especially in stressful situations, otherwise I go off grid! I find that it really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great suggestion Jennifer, one that I will try the next time I feel cognitively spent (which is often haha). Thank you for sharing.

      Delete