Sunday, June 23, 2013

Scaffolding Vs. Shaping (What's the difference?)

          I noticed a fellow group member was presenting separate posts on certain websites, videos, or thoughts she had outside of the specified assignments for class. I found myself drawn towards these posts and wanting to reply on whatever it was she was presenting. Now that the model has been presented I'd like to mimic these particular posts and present one of my own.


          In reviewing the terms of scaffolding and shaping, because I had questioned whether they were really that different from one another, I found that they are actually quite similar. If I were asked what the difference was between the two I don’t feel confident in my ability to do so. They both have behavior as being a baseline for what is  being acquired, modified, or changing,. They both present stages as to how the individual learns said behavior, and both identify these stages as having some level of succession.
          Here’s the question that I’m pondering, and feel free to reply with your own thoughts and examples to help me more fully understand. Are these two terms as similar as I perceive them to be? If so, how could I best explain it to let’s say, one of my general psychology students (as I’m sure one will ask at some point)? Where is the cross over line between behavior and cognition, specifically with this example?

1 comment:

  1. The similarities of these two concepts are worth noticing, as you've done. Perhaps they point to the different metaphors that undergird each theory. The verb "to shape" is not one you would hear a Piagetian use. It's possible that a behaviorist would use the term scaffolding, but even a scaffold presumes a builder down below who is active in her or his own process and merely receiving some support from the outside. Perhaps they differ in the emphasis they place on the agency of the learner.

    ReplyDelete