Monday, July 8, 2013

Activity 5.4 (Information Processing in Context)



I enjoyed reading the specified excerpts from the book The Shallows (Carr, 2010), so much so that by the time I got to page 16 all I was thinking was, “Wow, this is so much like me”! Granted I wasn’t into some of the specifics that Carr was but as a gamer since the early 90’s you have to stay current with computer specs and software updates. Yes, I too have experienced that the new media driven world can easily change one’s daily activities. For Carr, “It wasn't just that so many of his habits and routines were changing as he became more accustomed to and dependent on the sites and services of the Net. The very way his brain worked seemed to be changing”. Ever since I switched from a landline to a cell phone my daily habits adjusted to the new addition. And that was before I got my iPhone!  I mentioned in a much earlier Module blog post that I don’t read leisure books like I used to. I was like Carr, I would get immersed in the characters and could easily spend an afternoon reading then wonder where the time went. Nowadays, between email, apps (and their addicting games), Facebook, online journals, plus an Xbox gaming system and Nintendo DS, shoot it’s no wonder I don’t read anymore. Maybe I need to move to Colorado!

I saw several connections to things we’ve been discussing the last few weeks. The first explained by Erika Rummel when she said that, “a person should digest or internalize what he learns and reflect rather than slavishly reproduce the desirable qualities of the model author" (pg. 179). Much of what James and constructivists reiterate is the importance of associations in the learning process. The biology behind memory is also important, as Carr found that, “our experiences continually shape our behavior and identity: The fact that a gene must be switched on to form long-term memory shows clearly that genes are not simply determinants of behavior but are also responsive to environmental stimulation, such as learning" (pg. 187).

I like how Carr gave note to the differences between the brains memory and computer memory, since the two have been metaphorically paired together as of late, stating that, “Biological memory is alive and computer memory is not” (pg. 191). Computer memory is a fixed circuit whereas the brain’s memory has an almost infinite ability. From what I understand it’s not an ‘almost infinite ability’ it is infinite. Unless there are reports that indicate the capacity for long term memory which I have not been privy to.

I was not surprised to read that the key to memory consolidation is attention (passive or voluntary) and making connections between various explicit memories (pg. 193). As James said, “An educated memory depends on an organized system of associations; and its goodness depends on two of their peculiarities; first on the persistency of the associations; and, second, on their number” (James 1899/2001, pg. 60). One of the main points that Carr discusses is how the Web isn’t allowing us the opportunity to have focused attention or concentration, and we grow accustom to distraction.  I see this more and more in the classroom, semester after semester. Students need for stimulation and constant at that, it continually surprises me.

Carr mentions in the digression section of his book that after he disconnected himself from the Web, though it was difficult for a period of time, eventually the “old, disused neural circuits sprang back to life” (pg. 199). I couldn’t help but think of our class discussions about habits versus free will and how much of our behavior is habit. As James states, “new habits can be launched if there is new stimuli and excitement” (James 1899/2001, pg. 39) and Carr’s habits did change. Some of the new habits were viewed in a positive light while others created concern in relation to memory and attention. However, the old habits didn’t die they just needed to be reignited.

No comments:

Post a Comment