Saturday, July 13, 2013

Activity 6.5 (Processing Information in a Technology Rich Age)



One of the examples I used in a recent post was related to a recent problem I’ve been wrestling with, that of time management. I often feel like there are so many things I don’t have time to do or don’t fully commit to the way I’d prefer. While reading Power’s excerpts from Hamlet’s Blackberry, it was as if the words jumped out and slapped me. “Worthwhile or not, the point is that a great many of these busy-making activities are completely our own doing. We don’t just choose them, we pursue them” (Powers, p. 14). It’s time for me to take ownership! No more self-serving bias. It's not technologies fault that I feel overwhelmed, it's mine.
Yes, I do think technology has affected the way I process information. Unlike my husband, I remember what work and school were like before mobile devices and the internet (it had a small part back then). I spent more time in libraries and at home reading books (not e-books), having lengthy conversations (in person) with my work and school mates, the Joy of Cooking was my recipe mecca, not Pinterest (shocking I know), and I wrote checks every month to pay my bills. True, technology has made certain things easier and more efficient, as with Carr, much of what I would spend excess time doing I can now do in one-fourth of it. But that’s not what we’re talking about here are we? We’re talking about the over use of technology and how it’s changing the way we process the world around us.
Do you think it’s possible to disconnect from technology, specifically the usage that we have control over? And if so, what suggestions or techniques do you have that might break the Digital Maximus? Can we go back to doing things the way we did them before or will they be forever misshaped? For example, I used to read various genres of books, mostly mystery, and would read at least an hour if not more a day (double time on weekends). But somewhere along the way I lost the desire to read. I’ve bought books, I’ve checked them out from the library, I’ve downloaded them to my Nook, and it’s usually not more than two chapters in before I’m back to surfing Facebook, playing app games, and reading articles from my iPad (and the articles are not very long).  Instead of making sure I have my keys and purse before I leave the house, what do I check for first? You guessed it, my phone and iPad!

6 comments:

  1. You made some excellent points that I can relate to about the use of technology. I do not think it is possible for me to go back to the way it was before all the electronic devices. However, I do think it is possible to modify my usage. I think it is a matter of desire. You pointed out the quote from Powers that described how we select and even pursue the use of technology. I agree that it is about choice. Technology is intended to enhance the way we live, learn, and pursue interests. Ultimately we are in control of how we utilize technology and to what degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think that I am more busy because of technology. I think that I can sign up to take on more duties because I am connected all the time. It's interesting how you have reacted to technology, my husband has had the opposite reaction. He loves to read and probably would read a book every two weeks before his Kindle. Since he loves to read, I decided to get him one for his birthday last year, even though he said he wouldn't like it. Now he reads 1-4 books a week. He said that the ease of downloading the books or checking them out from the library has allowed him to always have 4-5 in the cue to start. Whereas, before he would have to go to the store or order off of Amazon and wait. Also, he was able to carry 20 or more books on his Kindle and take it with us on vacation, but he would never have packed 20 books to take with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda, I love that story about your husband. I think that's a good example of Karen's point, that we do have control over how we use the technology. It certainly influences us, but we also need to consider how other cultural currents have affected the way technology has been adopted in our lives. I'm reminded of Carr's discussion about how schools stopped valuing memory before the web was developed. Since memory had already been devalued, it was natural to allow the computer to outsource our memory. I wonder how we might have embraced the web differently (and perhaps even created different systems) if our social values had been different from the start. My father calls the light bulb "an invention of the devil" because it made 24/7 work possible. But the light bulb was created and became popular because people were already longing to work at night and were doing so by candlelight. It all brings us back to the idea of free will. How much choice do we have to resist the cultural flow and swim upstream? The technology can be used in a lot of ways depending on the "bundle of habits" we have developed, as your husband's love of reading attests. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda, I recently got a Kindle as well. Initially, I thought that I wouldn't like it because it wouldn't be the same as having a "real" book with pages. However, after experiencing the ease of downloading books from the library and being able to transport multiple books at a time, I'm obsessed! I have read 10 books this summer and that is a tremendous improvement, as I have not read for pleasure for years. The accessibility and ease of technology has allowed me to pick up my old habit of reading for pleasure that I probably would have never done due to my busy schedule, if not for technology. However, I have seen the negative effects of technology too, like Tori mentioned. Completing a task on the computer usually leads to several Pinterest and Facebook visits, and unnecessary online shopping. I like the idea of controlling our use of technology and being more aware of its positive and negative effects. Good discussion ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the Kindle! What an interesting device. My husband also loves to read and begged for a Kindle. For a while I was wary of the Kindle and feared stepping away from the wonderfulness of paper books (the smell, the feel, the dog earring, and the ability to write in them). But since he has had one his story is similar to Melinda's and Whitney's. I still prefer paper books and printed articles but the Kindle has definitely seemed to enhance my husband's reading. I like what you say, Whitney, about the negative consequences of technology. I find it slightly ironic that we are having such discussions about technology as we type away on our computers and blog away for our class. A couple semesters ago I experienced a clear example of the way technology has touched my thinking. I was completing an essay final in a class on my computer and when I paused to think about what I wanted to say I noticed myself going to open my internet browser and check Facebook. I immediately stopped myself in surprise but I have noticed that while completing tasks (especially written tasks on the computer) I frequently stop myself in mid thought to look something on Google. I truly believe technology is a complicated creature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the thoughts you all have posted. I think Rachel's last line sums it up nicely. Perhaps the key for us is balance and awareness.

    ReplyDelete