Thursday, July 18, 2013

Activity 7.2 (My Own Self-Efficacy Experience)



            In some circles I would have been called a nontraditional and first generation college student. However my college experience started out more from the lure of socializing and entertainment than from learning. In 1991 when I first attended college I would not have believed it if someone told me that twenty years later I would be a college professor. I probably would have literally laughed out loud. My academic and career journey has a lot to do with my self-efficacy; it started out weak but has continued to grow stronger with each milestone and goal that I achieve.
            As I stated before I started college in 1991 at the ripe young age of eighteen and thought I had the world at my fingertips, which came crashing down on me just 8 short months later when I was asked to leave the dormitories because of an outstanding debt that I had owed. I’m not proud of it; I was financially foolish back then, as many young adults are. However, it was that shocking and scary event that altered my life in a way that started a domino effect of future 'forks in the road'. I left college believing that I would never return, not just because I couldn’t afford it but because I wasn’t smart enough. You see I left in the third quarter of my first year with a GPA of 1.6! This communicated to me that I was not good enough; I lacked the skills and abilities to succeed in college. Don’t get me wrong, I did alright in high school, in fact I graduated with a 3.2, but it was my parent’s GPA not mine (I couldn’t get less than a C or I’d either get grounded or a really lengthy lecture). I went on with my life working in jobs ranging from restaurant work to a gas attendant to loan officer, which was more like a glorified secretary really, and I hated every one of them.
            Although I lacked confidence in my academic abilities, for some reason I always believed there was something better out there for me. Now this could have been my own stubbornness or arrogance, probably a little bit of both. However it wasn’t until I was 22 and involved with a man who was in college that I had even begun to toy with the idea of going back to school. In January of 1996 I enrolled in my first semester back in the college saddle and boy did I have a lot to make up for. I will never forget my first writing class and how I would stare at the computer screen having absolutely no idea how to form my thoughts and then communicate them in writing (shocking I know!). It was as if those five years out of high school took all the skill out of me and squashed it like a bug. As Pajares said “But if she lacks confidence in her academic capabilities, she may well shy away from challenging courses, will approach the SAT with apprehension and self-doubt, and may not even consider college attendance.” I was terribly apprehensive about attending college and had talked about quitting several times. It took me about a year to shrug the doubt off my self-efficacy plate. But as time went on, semester after semester, cleaning up my old nasty transcripts and replacing them with passing grades, I began to believe in my ability to be academically successful.
            It wasn’t so much what other people told me I was capable of doing, trust me I did not have a lot of supporters, it was what I told myself I could do. I had what’s discussed in Pajares’ chapter as reasonable efficacy appraisals (p. 17), “which are the most functional self-efficacy judgments that slightly exceed what an individual can actually accomplish that increase effort and persistence”. Class after class, semester by semester, experience after experience; all of this built up my self-efficacy and self-belief. I eventually got my Bachelor’s degree and quickly enrolled in a Master’s program. However one thing I noticed, when I first started the graduate school process, was that my self-efficacy started to weaken again. Not to the extent that it was before the start of my collegiate journey, but enough that I started second guessing my writing and research ability. I would finish my sentences in class with a question mark communicating uncertainty. Why did I doubt myself again? I think it had a lot to do with how I invariably interpreted my mastery experience. According to Pajares (2005), “This can lead to situations in which inappropriate interpretations can diminish the very self-efficacy beliefs required to push on in the face of adversity” (p. 345). I find that my self-efficacy tends to be a tad weak in the beginning of a new academic adventure (for example it happened with this class), but with experience moves more quickly from weak to strong in a shorter amount of time. It doesn’t take me a year as it did back in 1996, now it’s a few weeks, and sometimes only a day or two.
            I hope that I model to students the self-efficacy that I have in my own abilities but in their abilities too. “Teacher self-efficacy also fosters student achievement and students’ achievement beliefs across various areas and levels. Self-efficacy is contagious, which is to say that students can easily “catch” a teacher’s own sense of confidence” (p. 361). If I can do it, they most certainly can as well.

3 comments:

  1. Tori,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure in your classroom, you create the “contagious” self-efficacy effect that was discussed by Pajares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! If you're ever heading over this way to Owensboro let me know, it would be great to chat in person sometime.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this lovely reflection, Tori. I agree that you will be a terrific model for your students. I hope you will share your story with them.

    ReplyDelete